The Clare Old Police Station and Courthouse Museum
of the National Trust of Clare, South Australia
The first Courthouse and Police Station built 1850.
This museum has extensive collections of Clare memorabilia.
The museum was originally Clare’s first public building.
However, being located about a kilometre from the town, it was decided to build a more central police station.
The building became a casualty hospital in 1888, treating mainly infectious diseases and accident cases.
Read more: Clare's First Police Station
The building was first leased free of charge to the Clare Branch of the National Trust of South Australia in 1969, together with two acres of land (under the control of the District Council of Clare) to be developed as a museum.
The museum has collections of costume, furniture, domestic memorabilia and historic photographs of the area and its inhabitants displayed in four rooms,
including items originally belonging to the founder of Clare, Edward Burton Gleeson (1803-1870),
and the pioneering Bowman family of local Martindale Hall.
There are also objects relating to WWI as well as an interesting WWII collapsible paratrooper’s bicycle.
In the grounds there are also some agricultural machinery and early horse drawn vehicles in a covered area.
Let’s Work Together
Corner, Neagles Rock Road and Victoria Road Clare 5453 SA
Tel: 0400 010 879